Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Diablo III Beta Impression

The Diablo III open beta has just finished but what was it like to play?

At first I wished that skills were a little less optimised in the game but having found the elective mode option in the gameplay settings, I don't mind too much. Ticking this option allows you greater freedom in the way you mix and match your skills, allowing you to tailor the character to your playing style. It seems odd to even have this option as I can't imagine playing without it but maybe someone people will like the lack of freedom.

I do however wish that items were more streamlined. You receive so many junk items on your travels and you also receive a lot of items that for example do less damage then your current weapon, yet have some other bonus such as extra experience points. I would like to have seen items streamlined so that you receive less junk. The items already appear to be streamlined in some ways such as you don't receive a helmet till you have levelled up a few times. I know that Diablo games are supposed to be about random loot but I think it doesn't need to be so tedious. It was also disappointing that most of the class unique gear I found was terrible, meaning that my characters ended up looking pretty stupid holding equipment they wouldn't normally take. I am hoping that the reason for this is that Blizzard are wanting to keep somethings secret for now and there will be a greater set of unique items when the game is fully released.

Graphically the game features the standard chunky character models that you have come to expect from Blizzard. These aren't that impressive but the way the game handles lighting, spell effects and other little touches is great. I loved watching the Wizard's Orb spell, the way it moved across the screen sending enemies flying into the air as it exploded upon them is enchanting. Even the health and skill/mana bars look great.

Graphically the game has nice touches but it's audio is it's best feature. The music sets the perfect atmosphere, it's dark, foreboding and sometimes even leaves you in silence to hear the scraping and moaning of the undead. The crush of the Barbarian's blows lets you feel each hit, you can hear the ice snap as you freeze your enemies with the wizard, of course you need these reinvigorating sounds else you might succumb to the horrors that live in Diablo's audio. I highly recommend getting a nice set of headphones for the experience, or if you plan to play with a friend or sibling, you may have to buy them this so they can listen in clarity whilst communicating with you.

The release of the beta has done what Blizzard had hoped it would do, at least in my case and I will have to head out and grab a copy. I am pretty excited that there will be plenty of changes and of course a lot more to do in the full release but if I had to give it a score I would tentatively say an 8.5/10 would suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment