Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Retro Gaming with the KiGB: Link's Awakening DX Review

You've probably heard about KiGB, it's been around for quite sometime and it is a Game Boy emulator. You can get it for windows and linux here and Mac OS here. I used the Mac OS version with the shareware enhancer which allows me to use my Logitech controller with no troubles. There seems to be no limitation on using it for free which is great as the creator wants a whopping $30 for it. I was thinking more like $5.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, has just been rereleased on the 3DS so seeing as I can't afford one I decided to fire it up on the emulator.

I really loved this game when I played it many years ago but I never had the chance to finish it, or even play it very much. There is something nice about it's simplicity and it is definitely the Zelda title to go for if you are sick of having your hand held by the modern ones. On that note I must admit I did at times use a walkthrough as a guide, because I would often find myself unsure of where to go. This is one annoyance about the game, it can at times be a bit vague. You can telephone Ulrira to get tips but he often tells you what you already know. This isn't such a big deal, as like I said you can just look it up onlin,e or spend a bit of extra time wandering looking where to go.


Obviously the gameboy wasn't a graphics or music powerhouse, but in this time of retro gaming it still manages to fair quite well. It only has a simple tone generator but the music is still quite enjoyable. There are some classic tunes and sounds that you will recognise, plus plenty you probably haven't heard. Graphically, it isn't so great but it has this chunky style that makes everything clear and obvious.


The thing that makes this Zelda title stand out is that it's a lot funnier, even a bit more risqué, then any other title in the series. It has silly little things like someone pretending they look like Princess Peach in their letters and all of the bizarre Mario references. Plus it even makes fun of itself. The cute girl in town Marin, decides to adventure along with Link, so what does he do? In typical Link style he picks her up and holds her above his head! I found it hilarious at the time *ahem*. The point is, it is still worth a play and why not emulate it? 8/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment